BurstWave Foundation provides internet access for learning purposes to those who cannot afford the cost.
"STRESS BUSTERS" by Richard O'Brien
Stress runs rampant this time of year. Whether it’s the holiday credit card bills just starting to roll in or the realization that we’ve already broken our New Year’s Resolutions and of course there's taxes. We all need to take a moment and de-stress. Here are some tips that will help you shake some of that unwanted stress.
- Get organized – I know it is hard work but think about how good you’ll feel once you get that hall closet (or your desk) all clean and organized. You might even find that missing left boot or red Swingline® stapler!
- Socialize – This is one of the best stress relievers of all. And if you have kids, make a point to get out once in awhile without the kids but with friends. You can make it an event for everyone by hiring one babysitter for all the kids and let them have some fun, too.
- Don’t worry – A piece of advice much easier said than done. But, 99% of all worry is unproductive and a just plain waste of time. Worry tends to make us “freeze” and unable to move forward with a positive attitude. Who needs that?
- Be Happy! – You may have heard the old adage that you’re only as happy as you will allow yourself to be…and it’s true. Stop for a moment and think about all the things in your life that make you happy and rejoice in them!
- Let it go – It’s a new year. Let go of old, persistent issues and prejudices and start fresh. Old grudges just drag us down. You’ll be amazed how free you feel once you let them go!
- Exercise – With the cold weather we’ve been experiencing lately, getting motivated to exercise is difficult. But, getting that serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine coursing through your veins will improve your mood as well as your fitness level. As a bonus, if you do go outside, you’ll get your dose of vitamin D for the day.
- Play with the kids/dogs – Be a kid again, yourself. Adults work too much and don’t take enough time to play; play brings us joy. It doesn’t matter what you do – play fetch with the dog, play tag with the kids. Pull out one of those old board games and play a cut-throat game of Monopoly® or play some Crazy Eights on a snowy/rainy day. Just have fun!
- u>Start a new project – Have you been wanting to repaint the kitchen? Learn to knit? Winter is a great time to tackle those indoor projects that get pushed to the side in the nicer weather. You may also discover a hidden talent!
- Finish an old project – Definitely not as exciting as starting a new project. But, you really won’t believe how good you will feel if you can strike an ancient item off the mental “To Do” list. And your significant other will be so shocked, if he’s anything like mine!
- Just Chill – There’s nothing more relaxing than snuggling down with a bowl of popcorn and a favorite movie or classic TV show on DVD or through a streaming service. We’re so accustomed to being “on the go” so much that we sometimes can’t just relax and enjoy ourselves in front of the TV or with a book. But remember if you’re going the book route; skip the butter on the popcorn!
So there you have it – Louisa Online’s Top Ten list of ways to de-stress in 2023 (or any other year). It doesn’t matter how you do it, as the old Nike® slogan goes, “Just Do It!”